Eczema-prone infant skin: discover a life-changing routine
When a baby has eczema-prone skin, the whole family is affected, both emotionally and in terms of everyday life. To help parents, and to improve the quality of life of little ones, La Roche-Posay Laboratories have developed the LIPIKAR range to meet the specific needs of atopy-prone skin.
Atopic dermatitis is a dermatological condition that can occur in infants from the age of three months. It is generally found on the face in infants, but can also develop in the skin folds around the knees, wrists and elbows as they grow.
Dry skin and changes in the skin's protective barrier are symptoms of this condition facilitating the penetration of allergens, causing itching that undermines a child's quality of life: disrupted sleep, mood swings and ongoing discomfort... These afflictions affect the entire family's quality of life.
Parents often feel powerless when faced with this condition that causes so much discomfort and pain to young skin: plagued by itching sensations, they cry, become agitated and unable to sleep.
Tips to make living with eczema easier
Over time, its prevalence diminishes and, in 50% of cases, eczema gradually goes away by the age of five years. To cope, parents need to know how to manage episodes and how to care for their babies' skin to prevent further flare-ups.
To reduce the inflammation and itching which could cause infection, dermatologists and pediatricians generally prescribe topical corticosteroid creams to be used once a day, preferably at night.
As soon as the eczema lesions go, the steroid cream should be replaced with an emollient.LIPIKAR Baume AP+, formulated by La Roche-Posay Dermatological Laboratories, acts on the various factors of eczema-prone skin, decreasing the frequency of severe dryness flare-ups.
- It immediately soothes itching.
- It repairs the cutaneous barrier thanks to the combined action of Niacinamide and Shea butter at a concentration of 20%.
- It restores balance and stabilises the microbiome.
To offer lasting relief to your baby's eczema-prone skin, choose a product and stick with it. There is no point in using multiple products or layering on treatments: by choosing LIPIKAR Baume AP+, you are targeting the primary factors in eczema-prone skin.
Be especially careful when bathing your baby
To complement and optimise your little one's skincare routine, particular attention should be paid to bathing and cleaning their skin:
- Use a very mild gel such as LIPIKAR Syndet suitable for your baby's fragile skin.
- Opt for lukewarm showers over excessively hot baths.
- When your baby comes out of the water, thoroughly but gently pat skin dry. This helps the active ingredients in the emollient or steroid cream to better penetrate into the skin - you should apply it within 10 minutes of your baby's shower or bath.